If you missed out on the inaugural 30K DAY paddle organised by Chris Dench,put this in your calender!
This trip promises
💪 ‘ Knocked the bastard off’ ness
😋 WHEN: 19 August
📭 WHERE: Kawau Island
⛽️ DISTANCE: 30 k
🐥 PUT IN AT: Martins Bay boat ramp
🤓 PRE DEPARTURE BRIEFING: 8:20 am on the beach
⛩ TIME OF PUT IN: 8:30 am
💄 ESTIMATED RETURN: 4:00 pm
🌍 FORECAST AREA: Hauraki Gulf
☃️ METSERVICE WEATHER PARAMETER at 7AM on trip day
-NOT MORE than 15 knots
DAY or EVENING
If outside this weather parameter the trip will AUTOMATICALLY CANCEL WITHOUT NOTIFICATION.
Met Service Forecast
🙀 UNFAVOURABLE WIND DIRECTION: Westerly
An unfavourable wind direction may change the trip destination. You will be emailed THE DAY BEFORE if this happens.
Information for first timers: Update 31 Jul 2017
- See map
The Western or left side on the photo is where the island ‘without roads’ has some settlement in cute little coves and atop bush clad hills.
- Although we will not hug this side on our trip it is nice to be aware of the large inland harbour of Bon Accord situated centrally as we pass.
This is the site of the historic Mansion House most famously owned by twice governor of New Zealand Sir George Grey. It is tucked neatly just inside the harbour on its Southern shore in Mansion Bay.
- Vivian Bay, the settlement near Kawau’s most Northern tip is very picturesque and has a lovely sandy beach. We may choose this as a stop.
- The seaward ‘back’ side of the island is rugged and remote. A sense of being isolated here prevails. Maybe a lunch stop.
- A real jewel in the area around Kawau is the tiny but never overlooked Beehive Island.This is a tropical island look alike due to its bright white shelly beach appearing as a ring around the island. It can be seen for miles and is en route and can be a great place to land.
- Ruth Henderson, known to just about everyone in the sea kayaking community is a resident of the island and plans to be on this trip so some great island knowledge is available to those wanting some ‘insider’ information.
- This trip is a classic circumnavigation and is a worthy follow up to our Waiheke Island excursion.
Hope to see you there!
30k paddle quick rules
Remember all you need to to do to go on this trip is to:
Have been on a YAKITY YAK SEA KAYAK SKILLS COURSE
Take SOLE RESPONSIBILITY for your PERSONAL SAFETY
CHECK that the METSERVICE FORECAST Met Service Forecast
at 7AM on the day is WITHIN THE PARAMETERS listed above.
See you there!