Quick update regarding registration for this trip:
FInal Trip Plan – agreed with DOC and Shipping company
Please note that this is a complex sea based expedition – so the actual dates are subject to changes due to extreme weather / safety parameters – so some degree of flexibility is needed:
1. Pre-trip milestones:
- Mon Jan 20th 2014 To take the kayak’s to Devonport for spray and quarantine. [ DOC Depot; 6 Fleet Street, Devonport (adjacent the New World Supermarket). ]
- Wed Jan 15th 2014: To attend DOC presentation / other expert sessions from the Raoul staff induction program
2. Trip dates:
- Fri Jan 24th late afternoon: Pick up kayak from Devonport quarantine area and drive to Tauranga. We can have group dinner in Tauranga and sleep in the ship Friday night.
- Sat Jan 25th: Leave Tauranga [either 8:30AM / 14:35AM]
- I was hoping we can load the ship on Friday night to catch the 8:30 AM Sat slack water for departure – so that we see Cheeseman and Curtis during sunlight (and possibly kayak around there).
- The second slack tide on Jan 25th is at 14:35PM – which gets us to Raoul during the early hours of Tuesday morning (and we will miss a stopover at Cheesman and Curtis]
- Tues Jan 28th (?)- Sat Feb 1st (Five days): The group will Kayak / snorkel around Raoul Island (based out of the ship)
- Wed 29th January & Saturday 1st Feb: Possible shore dates at Raoul Is.
- Sunday Feb 2nd noon: Load ship and Leave Raoul
- Monday Feb 3rd morning: 3 hour Stopover at L’Esperance Rock / quick circumnavigation by kayak. Survey (from the kayak) the damage from storm to the fuel tank / assess any environmental damage and bring back photos
- Tuesday Feb 4th: Arrive back at port during slack water @ 23:45